I know, I know, "every party has a pooper, that's why we invited you.....Party pooper!" :)
As I was watching the ball drop last night, a simple thought crossed my mind: "Without resolve as you move forward into the New Year, how will you stay on course?" A short argument followed with myself!
"There is nothing different about this day...resolutions can be made any day!"
No matter how many times I heard this refrain in my mind, the volume of it's conviction dimmed as I thought about the strength of our determination.
Strength of our determination? On this blog, we have talked a lot about remaining strong during our wait. Putting on the armor of God, standing in the gap, and surrendering everything to God. No holes in our armor and no wavering allowed!
Could it be that refusing to create 'resolutions' for a new year is a dent in my plan...a dent that will rust and soon create a gaping hole in the strength of my determination?
I know, I know...it's not about making resolutions on ONE day only--but I think I've become convicted....it's about having the strength to keep those resolutions EVERY day!
Here's the list that, literally, flashed in my mind....complete....and as brilliant as the fireworks of MIDNIGHT, 1/11/11~!
- When you love a prodigal whose life is out of control, you begin to feel and live as a victim. I am not a victim. I will stop living, stop thinking, stop behaving as though I have done something wrong. I will say with the Apostle Paul (every day of my life), "...[God's] power is made perfect in [my] weakness. Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 2 Corinthians 12:9 I am equipped with Christ's power! I am no longer a victim, I will choose, rather, to overcome! I have choices, and not just your average, run-of-the-mill choices; I have powerful choices. I will live my life powerfully!
- I will stand in the gap on behalf of my land. I will remove myself from the landmines of the battle. Instead, everyday I will climb onto my "watchtower and stand before [God] on behalf of the land so [He does] not have to destroy it" (Ez: 22)
- I will remain strong in my commitment to remember the difference between what IS effective and what IS NOT. Oh, I've wanted to BE the difference but will now remember, THAT is NOT an effective solution, nor is it SURRENDER. I will yield the answers to the all the questions of my life to God--who created the universe and holds resurrection power--He is more than capable!
- I will step out of the battle field and step firmly into God's plan for my life. He created me...to be me! He has offered unique gifts to me that I have rudely ignored. He wants a relationship with me, He desires to be known. He wants to bless, to empower, to restore my brokenness. It IS who HE IS!
- I commit to do, at least, one thing daily that will strengthen my commitments for 2011 (and reserve the right to do more).
Will you join me in saying--it is time for this to stop! Let it be known, that at midnight on 1/1/11 we begin again at the beginning! For what we've been doing has NOT been working...let's try something different!
Will you join me? What is your beginning? Let 1/1/11 be a day of renewal, a declarative day of new beginnings.
I can't wait to hear your first steps. What is one thing you can do today to honor your new commitments? Let's power up!