Monday, June 26, 2006

Monday Musing's from my loft!

Good day from Gull Lake! I have joined my family at our lake place for our annual two week vacation of sum....sum....summertime fun! The Minnesota weather has been perfect and we have spent hours on the lake tubing, wake-boarding, jet skiing....and yes, tanning! Last summer at this time, my daughter and I were somewhat preoccupied with her August 13th wedding; while I miss the joyous enthusiasm we felt, I do not miss the anxiety-ridden lists of things to get done before the wedding!

Summertime in Minnesota is a cherished time. Yes, we toss aside our artic sleepwear and join the ranks of bathing beauties from the West Coast to soak up the lazy days of summer. The call of the loon is our alarm clock--yes, the Common Loon, Minnesota's State Bird. What--did you really think the Mosquito was our State Bird! Rumors aside, the Common Loon is our beloved
State Bird. What other bird has the ability to fly, float and dive (torpedo!) it's way through life! You have to admire the life long mating and the care they take to nurture their babies. And there is nothing common about their eerie, mournful call.

Lest I injure the unofficial State Bird's feelings, I will mention that we do have our fair share of mosquitos! Does anyone really know the true value of a mosquito? Like, did Noah really gather two of these annoying little creatures and bring them on the Ark? Seriously, what purpose do they serve? Oh--I wasn't going to offend them. Sorry! Wonder what Beth Moore would say about loving these difficult little creatures? ;)

On the agenda today is more sum....sum....summertime fun! My daughter just called to let us know she passed her Nursing Board exam, our son-who-has-just-relocated-home has a job interview this afternoon at 2:00 p.m., and our 14-year-old-son and 11-year-old-foster-granddaughter are patiently waiting for me to get this post done to take them tubing! Mosquitos aside, it is a very good day!

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Sounds like great fun! Wish I was there wish you. I love the sound of the loon. I do not like the sound of the other state bird! That annoying buzzing when you're trying to get to sleep and you just know it's going to find you does not make for good sleeping. This does bring back good memories!

Theresa said...

Sounds like ya'll are having a good time and tubing is a blast!! Be safe and have fun.

Anonymous said...

It's funny, but I made a comment long ago(I can't remember where) about why Noah chose to bring two mosquitos on the ark. I guess they serve some purpose in life.

Hey, if for some reason you have too much blood floating around your system, they are there to take care of that. That's why they were on the ark. :-)

Anonymous said...

We must cherish these moments of great grace in the midst of our tumultuous lives.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Diane, that's my kind of fun! Hope you have a good time, and it's great that you can blog from the vacation spot. Keep us posted so we can all be jealous of you, LOL. :-)

Delia said...

I am definitely jealous! Just kidding. It does sound like you're having a wonderful time though!

someone else said...

Sounds so perfect! Have a wonderful time.