Sunday, October 26, 2008


Getting my ducks all in a row

We spent the weekend up at our lake place putting all of our summer toys away in preparation for winter. It is a bittersweet time--enjoying the fall weather while anticipating the coming cold winter that only Minnesota brings.

As I was closing the deck blinds I noticed this line of ducks all in a row traveling past our beach. I must admit, I've heard it said before, "Get your ducks all in a row," but I've never seen the visual before.

It is a perfect visual for the week ahead. I have been diligently working on my new partnership with Allison Bottke in preparation for going into a studio to record promotional and motivational DVD's. While Allison is an expert in this venue, I bring some serious apprehension to the process. I just want it to be over with!

Sort of like how I feel about winter. I just want it to be over with.

But I know, how I know, that if I make it through winter, spring will arrive.

Much like my apprehension of doing studio work; if I make it through the anxiety, the worry, the sheepishness that I feel about being in front of a camera, I know, how I know, this ministry will spring into action.

So, I continue to plan, to prepare, and pack (I'm goin' to Dallas!)--I continue to get my ducks all in a row for the journey.

The ducks on the lake have an innate navigation system and they are following their leader.

I have an innate navigation system to--the Holy Spirit...and I will follow my leader though anxious I am!

The stage has been set, the crew assembled. The scripts have been written and the actors have been cast. Now I must simply follow my leader and "cast all my anxiety on Jesus for he cares for me" (1 Peter 5:7).

Who do you follow today? Have you heard the call of Jesus, "Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men" (Mark 1:17) We will never get lost or broken by the journey if we only continue following the One who is leading us with His infinite power and will for our lives.

8 comments:

Dawn said...

I love this - the analogy, the picture of the ducks in a row, the thought of you on camera! I didn't realize that was part of your new position. Can't wait to see it!

Nadine said...

Good post Diane.

I look forward to seeing you later this week.

Dee said...

that is a great shot and a great thought!

Meridith said...

Great reminder!!

Just found your blog on LWG blogroll and thought I'd say hi... off to read more...

Heather Smith said...

Stepping out of your comfort zone can be insanely hard, but sometimes that is where God uses us most! Praying for you! And sorry I've been a bad blog friend and haven't been by much lately!

Sharon Lynne said...

Such a beautiful picture.

Well....God doesn't let us get too comfortable...before something comes up where we must trust him. I know you will find joy in this work. You'll do well!

Dawn said...

I really miss your smiling face around blogland - I know you're incredibly busy with your new position. I'm dying to hear more about it!

Cynthia said...

Just catching up on reading your posts. My you have been busy. I am so thrilled for you and the things that are going on in your life. May God continue to use you for his glory. I love you my friend.