Thursday, September 21, 2006

And I heard His reply:

Yesterday, after a week of studying prayer and the sometime silence of God, I heard His voice twice! Now before you call a Psychiatrist, let me explain; my soul was blessed by two fellow bloggers (or would it be "sister-bloggers?"

Reading through the comments from this post, my eyes filled with tears and my heart began to awaken to the sound of God's voice as Tam wrote:

I came across a book in my own home a few days ago and as I flipped through it and read a few passages I immediately thought of you...then I came here yesterday to share the book with you and your post was so poignant and addressed the very thing I was reading about...A passage:

Somebody Prays
"Somebody prays for a boy astray
Afar from home at the close of day,
Somebody loves him in spite of his sin
Would give her all to bring him in;
That somebody is mother.
Somebody's heart is filled with joy,
To meet a penitent erring boy,
To know her prayers were not in vain,
To welcome home her boy again
In spite of every sin and stain:
And that somebody is mother."
Author unknown

The book is titled simply "Mother" written by Jarrette Aycock. Published in 1945.The story is over 60 years old but still so applicable. It was written by wayward boy who finally, after years of straying and his mother praying...returned and became and evangelist.

As I sat silently, wiping the tears from my face, I soon realized that God understood how much I love my son and how much I long for his homecoming. May I be so bold to say, He used another blogger who happened upon a book in her home and happened upon a passage and happened to remember visiting my blog and happened to write a comment on my blog. Long pause............

Later, as I was checking links (via Technorati) I happened upon this generous and encouraging blogger who directed me to this amazing post! At a time when I have been struggling with my ability to believe that God may NOT answer my prayer, Ann's post was like a megaphone directly to my heart: "Yes, my child, I am with you and I have heard you."

It is only appropriate that Ann's blog is titled, Holy Experience. My holy experience yesterday was an "aha" moment: "Aha!" God is not absent, He is with me, yes, even in the dark night of my soul. It's His promise....it's His Word....He is faithful. It is when I am distracted; distracted by the circumstances of the struggle, the busy-ness of our day, the emotions of my perceived abandonment. When we make time to slow down, to search, to ask the tough questions, He breaks through our wall of our self-imposed-pity-party and makes His presence known.

Armand Nicholi has said, "We may ignore, but we cannot evade, the presence of God. The world is crowded with him. He walks everywhere incognito. And the incognito is not always easy to penetrate. The real labor is to remember to attend." This week, as I have been studying prayer and it's significance, I have subconsciously "remembered to attend." It is no surprise that God intentionally made his presence known!

Still, the hair on my arms is dancing and I have God-bumps! God's presence is real in the "world," and the blogosphere, "is crowded with him!" He is waiting to join us as we seek communion with Him. We must, only, remember to 'attend.'

Listen for His reply to you...today. And click on over to Holy Experience to share Ann's joy! Give her brother a warm "welcome to God's family." 'Attend' the celebration for "John Boy" and then, take a long pause, wait for His reply to you this day. He longs to be in communion with His children. I look forward to reading your report of attending to the Presence of God!

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Awesome!! Hallelujah!! I couldn't find a place to comment to Ann, but will e-mail her. I once again have tears in my eyes from your insight and way of putting it into words. You are such an inspiration to me. Thank you again.

Stephanie Marie said...

Thank you for your comment, and yes, you may link to my poem. :)

Anonymous said...

So beautifully written. It brought tears all anew - and a reminder of God's faithfulness. Ann's story will touch many, and many rejoicing with for and with her brother. THANK YOU for sharing~

rena said...

Amen. Great encouraging post. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that God has sent you people into your life that are encouraging...
You know - someone prayed for me once to come home...Don't give up! It is well worth it :).
Thank you for sharing Ann's celebration with us.

tam said...

What a God we have! What a blessing you are to so very many, many people.

It delights me to know God could have used me so profoundly for you...it causes me to weep in humility...

Oh God more than knows your pain...He more than knows your heart...He is in it with you.

oh how I pray for you and your son.

Although circumstances differ I understand your relief in hearing God's ever-loving voice when we think He is absent from us.

Oh I want to say so much more but I'll just offer to Christ!

Bless you dear sister bless you!

Gardenia said...

marveoulous - ! I was thinking of Johnny Cash's song about his praying mamma just yesterday - I believe the prayers go out into eternity - not just the todays we pray them.